Thursday, November 19, 2015

The Call

November 19, 2011 was a day I ate a lot of chocolate.  Why do I remember this day so vividly?  It is the day my husband and I came in view of a call to our current church.  We were nervous and excited.  While our hearts were breaking for our church back in Tennessee, we knew God was leading us to this new work.  However, we all know that the “in view of a call” all comes down to “the vote” of the congregation.

On this particular Sunday, my husband and I prayed that God would reveal His plan for us.  If He led us to this new place of service, we would go.  However, we would be leaving a church family we loved too.  I could not stop the tears from coming.  Let me just say it was one of Sundays where I was thankful for my waterproof mascara and my Peanut M & M’s.

As I was reading my morning devotional prior to service, God provided two scriptures for me.

 “In your unfailing love you will lead the people you have redeemed.  In your strength you will guide them to your holy dwelling.”  Exodus 15:13

“I remain confident of this:  I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.  Wait for the Lord; be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord.”  Psalm 24:13-14

Girlfriends, when God calls us to a new place of ministry, He always gives us the strength we need.  He will always guide us and give us discernment to know what He has planned for us.  All we have to do is seek His face.  In those minutes when the church is “counting” the votes, we have to “wait on the Lord” and have confidence in the fact that if He led us to this the place, there is a reason.

Although a lot of tears flowed and a mass amount of chocolate was consumed on November 19, 2011, I will always look back on this date with confidence that the Lord knew exactly what He was doing and never regret Him leading us to our current ministry. 

I would love to hear about your recent call to your church.  Tell me how God guided you to this ministry.


1 comment:

Sara said...

Thank you for this. We are in that waiting period now. My husband has been preaching at a small church in a neighboring town for about 6 weeks. They have asked him to come on a temporary basis. We are struggling to know if it what God wants and if it is what is right for our family. I covet your prayers as we listen to God's call.