Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Amazing Love

Ladies, the “Love” month is upon us. It seems as if we have just finished celebrating Christmas and New Year’s, and now Valentine’s Day is right around the corner! Before bargain hunters get a chance to snatch the last of the Christmas clearance items from store shelves, vendors are making room for all of the heart-shaped red and pink merchandise.

I’m sure that many of you have your own valentine traditions. Over the years, my husband and I have decided to celebrate the occasion on another day in the month, especially since many of the restaurants are sooooo crowded on the 14th. Several years ago, I also chose to start a tradition of giving gifts to my daughters, nothing elaborate, maybe a little candy, a stuffed animal or a small trinket, and a card.

Yes, Valentine’s Day serves as a reminder (even though we may not need to be reminded) for us to show love and appreciation for those special people in our lives. Yet, as I was reflecting on this holiday, I wondered, how can we know how to truly love, unless we know the One who is love? Our God is Love, and He has demonstrated His boundless love to us in ways too numerous to count.

We see that love displayed throughout the Scriptures, even from the beginning when He created us in His own image to have a relationship with Him; to His covering of Adam and Eve after they had sinned; His promise of a Savior after The Fall so that we would have a chance to be reconciled to Him; His Only Son, the Lord Jesus Christ willingly going to the cross to pay for our sins, so we could enjoy the glories of a relationship with our Father and our Redeemer for all eternity.

I could go on and on. In this blog, I could not even begin to recount the infinite demonstrations of God’s amazing love! Another thing that is also very wonderful is that I can, and you can, love others because He first loved us! (1 John 4:19). As we live our lives among our families, friends, church families, and neighbors, we get to show them the love of Christ, all because God in His mercy has chosen to love us, and we are definitely not deserving of His love, even on our best days!

Meditate on the love of God during this “love” month, and may the joy of being in a relationship with Him encourage your hearts over and over again!

I know that I am a little early, but……… “Happy Valentine’s Day”!

No comments: