Monday, January 19, 2015

Happy "New" Year

I just heard on the evening news that now is the time most of us give up on our New Year's resolutions.

What about you? Did you make any? Have you given up yet, or are you going pretty strong?

Me? I have seen a scant few pounds disappear from the scales. Overall, I am drinking more water. And, yes, I have made a trip to the dentist already this January. So, I guess I have seen some progress toward doing a few things I wanted to improve.

But, no, I wouldn't necessarily say, I've made resolutions. Those are supposed to be measurable and specific if they are to be kept. Right? Surely, if these things I'm doing are resolutions then I would have written them down somewhere or at least shared them with a close friend so she could hold me accountable. I've done neither of those things.

Instead, I've looked at January as a chance to take advantage of the "new" of the New Year. 2015 is His grace giving us a new year, yet He gives a lot of new.

Each dawn is a new day with new things that He has prepared in advance for us to do. Each day His mercies are new. Every morning God gives us breath, He gives us a new beginning.

God is a God of "new" things. He is making all things new. He is making me new.

Yes, there were a few things I knew He wanted me to do and I did sinfully procrastinate and wait until the New Year to begin them. But, I know that He's forgiven me and tomorrow is a new day no matter if it is the 1st of January or the 20th of January or even some random date in the middle of the year.

He is the God of new and He is mine. So, as I wish you a Happy "New" Year know that the happy "new" I'm praying for you is so much more than just a greeting used this time of year.

No comments: