Wednesday, December 17, 2014

God Is In Control Of Our Days

“I can’t change the past, but I can strive to do better and maintain a positive attitude in the future.”

The words above have become an anthem of sorts for me as I look back over the past year, and prepare to transfer (Lord willing) into a brand new year. Some things happened in 2014 that I wish had not happened, a few (bad) things that could have happened did not come to fruition, and there were many things that happened that brought me great joy!

Life is full of surprises, some we consider good, some not so good, and some are terribly awful! But as each day passes, I am grateful and thankful that God is the One who gives us each day; He is the “Manufacturer of Days” as I read once in a devotional book. Knowing this fact, should make all of want to live out all of our predetermined days for Him. How quickly we forget that when we belong to Him, we are to live for Him!

One thing that I have come to really appreciate this year is the Total Absolute Sovereignty of God! Everything that happens in my life, your life, the lives of those closest to us is no accident, is not by chance, and most certainly is not a matter of “luck”, but a working of His divine providence, so He can accomplish whatever He desires to accomplish in all of our lives.

I don’t know about you, but knowing that the Lord is always in control helps me to have a sense of joy and peace that literally passes “all comprehension” according to Philippians 4:7. I can trust my God to never be caught off guard by anything that happens to me. I may not totally understand it all, but I can be sure He has a purpose in it.

Sometimes we are allowed to go through things that are directly for our benefit, but some things are allowed in our lives to be a benefit to others. As those around us see how we handle hard situations, we are able to be a witness for the Lord in showing how He strengthens us in the storms of life, OR perhaps we can used by Christ to comfort and encourage others who have difficult trials of their own.

I want to learn to develop a steadfast attitude of learning from whatever the Lord has me to endure, whether good or bad. In regards to the year 2014:

I want to be thankful for the successes, accomplishments, blessings, and undeserved mercies.

I want to leave behind all the mistakes, failures, disappointments, heartbreaks, and missed opportunities (learning from them, of course).

I don’t want to wallow in what could have been or should have been, but appreciate what has taken place in my life.

My sisters, join me in thanking the Lord for this last year, and joyfully anticipate a brand new year, full of unchartered waters. A new start always brings hope, for we serve a God of hope!

We can’t change the past, but we can press on in Jesus’ name, confident that He is in control of all our days!

“But one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and reaching forward to what lies ahead.” Philippians 3:13

No comments: