Monday, December 1, 2014

Christmas Influence

I can’t tell you how many times I have rewritten this little article.

Honestly, I am simply overwhelmed. December has begun and I feel so very, very behind. My mind is swimming with all the things I feel like I have to do. I feel the anxiety growing with each item I add to my ever-increasing to-do list.

My feelings have already gotten the best of me and I have the whole month ahead of me.

When I rose early this morning for my time alone with God, the advent devotional I read really convicted me. In all the preparations I feel like I must make for Christmas, I realized that I must prepare myself.

John the Baptist was sent to prepare the people for Jesus’ arrival. God had thousands of years of history in place before the time was “full” for His birth.

And like the lesson of every animated Christmas special or holiday movie ever made, Christmas is not about the wrappings, presents or decorations. As Christians we know that it is so much deeper than Hollywood puts forth.

I need to prepare myself to celebrate the coming of Christ. The gifts will get bought and wrapped. The baking may be done by Publix, but it will be done none-the-less. The house may not be as festively put together as I had envisioned. But, I will stop daily this month to reflect on what Christmas truly means to me personally.

As a momma, I am well aware that my tone, my mood, my outlook directly influences that of every member of our home, right down to the two Yorkies. I want my children to have a great Christmas. However, more importantly, I want them to remember how Christ’s arrival was celebrated. I know that this begins with me.

So with every decoration placed, gift desire discussed and holiday event prepped for, I am asking God that my feelings will reflect His arrival in my heart. As a result, I can let Him use this “happiest time of the year” to truly help my house keep Christ the center of Christmas.

As a minister's wife, I also know that my attitude is reflected in the ministry that my husband and I have as well. Christmas and how it is celebrated is influenced in my approach far beyond even the walls of my own home. It is a part of every conversation and event at our church as well. 


Would you pray for me that I will have a positive influence of Christmas in our ministry? Would you pray for me that I could do this in the Vinson home too? I will be praying for you!

No comments: