Friday, October 31, 2014

Grace Always

It never fails. I ALWAYS seem to get myself in trouble when I deal in absolutes.


  • She never gets anything right.
  • He always disappoints. 
  • We will never get that done. 
  • They always let us down.


There is just something that seems "off" somehow when I add the word "always" or "never" to a statement or opinion. It "never" fails to back me into a corner or put me on the spot when I put parameters on a person or situation through my own observations or assumptions.

Arrogantly, I assume that everyone should think like me or respond in a way that I believe is right. As a result, I have set myself up for the comparisons, competitions and criticism that leads to bitter, self-righteous and judgmental attitudes.

If I am not careful, these sins creep into how I see others, like the moms and the ministers' wives I blogged earlier about. My perspective on situations within relationships and even the church becomes tainted. Satan is given the opportunity to take root and grow his weeds of negativity and discord. I even get into trouble with how I see myself sometimes.

Ladies, I don't know if you can relate, but I am challenging you to replace your own "absolutes" for God's. When I get out of my own head, with all the baggage of my own experiences, and seek God's perspective, I find some absolutes I can actually count on:


  • I am a child of the One True King and that cannot change. 
  • He always loves me unconditionally. 
  • He has a plan for each of us. 
  • He will never leave or forsake me. 
  • He alone is sovereign.   
As I go through life, understanding past circumstances and living in the present relationships God has given me, I find freedom through taking off my old way of thinking and putting on His. As I receive His grace, it multiplies and I find that I have it to give to others. 

I find myself saying and thinking and writing this prayer a lot lately; Increase You, decrease me. 
Let it be so Lord, let it be so ALWAYS.

No comments: