Sunday, February 5, 2012

Sunday Siesta - Practical Enduring

I am curled up on the couch in my sweats and under my favorite throw. My husband has been marinating steaks that he braved the last-minute Super Bowl party shoppers to go out and purchase. My oldest entertained herself quietly in her bedroom all afternoon with her books and Nintendo DS. My youngest is still snoozing in her bed and I am deciding whether or not to stir her from her slumber. I do want her to go to bed at some point tonight. Our weekend has been a good one. The Dnow event was a success. God answered so many prayers. We were privileged to see Him move and to watch Him work. After church this morning, we pulled through the drive-through at Zaxby's and came straight home. After eating and slipping into our comfy clothes, I have NOT moved. I have slept, but I have not moved. There is laundry to be done, floors to be vacuumed and bathrooms to be scrubbed. It is not that I don't care, because I do. I am all too aware that these will be waiting for me come tomorrow. I really do like to start a busy week with a clean house and an empty laundry room. But not this week! I have found such value to our Sunday Siestas. Some Sundays a busier than others. Worship services and committee meetings make these naps hard to squeeze in, but my closest friends know better than to call. Whether it is ten minutes or two hours, it is so good to just be still. Physically, my body needs me to stop. Spiritually, I need the rest too. My hubby and I may not speak but it is so good to just be together. I never set out to form this habit, but God knew I needed it. After all, isn't that why He rested on the seventh day? Dear Sister, my sabbath rest truly helps me to endure. In the grand scheme of things it really is a minor thing, my Sunday afternoon nap. It isn't anything of great spiritual depth, but it is a little thing that does so much for me. What about you? What is it that you do to help you endure? Are there verses you cling to? Promises you claim? Friends who speak truth? I don't know what you may be enduring through right now. Maybe your seas are pretty smooth. Maybe you are wondering how Jesus can be sleeping in your boat as the storms seem to rage all around you. Regardless, don't be afraid to take your own Sunday Siesta. Be still. Take stock. Rest. Please feel free to post your own practical tips for "enduring." Only God knows. It may be just what another one of us needs to read.

1 comment:

Tonya said...

Tara,

I also believe in taking a Sunday afternoon nap....when I can. I am not always able, but when I do, I see it as a refreshing time, to just be still and do nothing. Our Lord encouraged us to rest, so we can do it and not feel
guilty! :0)